So back in March or April, I registered to pre-order Stadium of Fire tickets, which i bought as soon as they went on sale for the cheapest price available. Plus, I had told Blaine I had REALLY wanted to go, but I didn't tell him when I actually went ahead and bought them because tickets were going so fast and I had to seize the moment!
But what is Stadium of Fire, you may ask? Well, every 4th of July there is a gigantic fireworks show and concert at BYU's football stadium as part of the Freedom Festival. I'd heard amazing things about it, but I never got to go. But when I heard that Brad Paisley AND David Archuleta were singing (usually it's just one) then I knew this was my big chance. I got to see, and more importantly - HEAR - Brother Archuleta at the Mo-Tab's Christmas Concert a couple months ago and that was amazing. But I had always wanted to go to a Brad Paisley concert. He's pretty much my favorite singer, but David definitely has the better voice. Hands down. Josh Groban would be in that category also...
Anyways! Besides the music, I was also dying to go because I LOVE AMERICA! :) But seriously, I'm going to be an American History teacher. It's what I do... So here is just a sum up of some of the patriotic festivities before the music. They all gave me goosebumps...
Apparently David Archuleta, a Utah native, sang the National Anthem at the Stadium of Fire when he was like 10 or something. So this year, the National Anthem started out with a video clip of little 10-year-old David singing it from years ago on the jumbotron. THEN present-day David comes out on stage and picks up where the video left off. BEAUTIFUL VOICE! Blaine, who has no musical background or familiarity, even recognizes and appreciates it :)
Then there were 4 skydivers that landed on the field. One was all in red, one in white, one in blue, and the last one was carrying the American flag. (Side note: I went skydiving once and it was so exciting) They were coming in fast and unfortunately the last guy landed right in the chairs on the field and took out some barriers. He was ok though.
Then there was a 4 jet flyover. I LOVE FLYOVERS. I've seen a couple others at Bowl Games and I just think they're awesome. Plus, after they passed over the stadium, there was a video on the jumbotron from the cockpit of one of the planes where the captain said hi and that they were carrying a flag that had flown in Afghanistan, and wished everyone a happy independence day. There was also some clips of local news coverage of soldiers coming home...
There were also some little girls who danced on the field while red, white, and blue beach balls were bounced around the stands.
David Archuleta sang like 4 songs but was clearly the crowds favorite. Then Brad Paisley came out and sang around 8 songs. I have wanted to see him for years. He didn’t interact with the crowed very much though, which I didn’t like. And he also did not play a couple of my favorite songs that I was expecting to hear. But it was still definitely amazing.
Chad Lewis, who was in the NFL and now works at BYU, was this year’s host, which I didn’t know until I saw him on stage. But I work with him, so when I saw him the following Monday, I asked him if he got to meet Brad Paisley and I was sooooo jealous. He said something like “he is the nicest, most laid back dude”… or something along those lines…
And of course, there was fireworks at the end… for about 45 minutes… no joke… Abbie and Austin came with us. Ask them. I think Austin timed it.
As you can probably tell, I loved STADIUM OF FIRE! And AMERICA ☺

No comments:
Post a Comment