October 26 was our first football game at the University
of Oklahoma, and it was wonderful!!! We wanted to get season tickets, but we
kept putting it off to save money and finally decided that we would only go to
one game this year, since their home schedule wasn’t that great. So I made sure
we went to the absolute best game of the season and we were sure successful!!
I think Gameday should have come to this once, since #10
Texas Tech was playing at #15 Oklahoma. It was a close one, and we won and
upset the #10 team! The stadium is huge and loud and big time in the Big 12. I
really missed being in stadiums that big and around games that big. I loved
BYU, but lets be honest, LaVell Edwards stadium is much smaller and BYU’s
schedules were not as prestigious. Growing up, I watched all my games on the 50 yard line at the Orange Bowl, so this felt like a little taste of home and old times.
We got there early, parked on the grass of a sorority house,
and found out the game had been delayed an hour and a half due to the rain. It
was pretty overcast, but only sprinkling. We stayed in the car for a little
bit, but were hungry, so we got out and found this pizza shack selling beer by
the pitcher. The lady let me pick the slice I wanted, but then it stuck to the
one next to it, so I got a free slice!!
We started walking toward the stadium and ate our pizza
under the awning of the Institute building. It was funny because when we drove
past it, I pointed it out to Blaine because I knew it was a church building
before we saw the plaque. So we walked past it and just finished our pizza
outside the door to get out of the rain. We checked the doors just for fun, but
they were locked.
Then this guy opened the door and invited us in. So we went
inside and it turned out that it was just him and his roommate in there killing
time before the game. And his roommate turned out to be one of Blaine’s dental
school friends. The one guy that let us in said that we weren’t holding any
beer, so he thought he’d be nice and let us in and out of the rain because we might be members, and
if not, he could do some missionary work. It wasn’t a bad place to hang out for
an hour and a half. They had popcorn, a ping pong table, and a pool table.
We hung out there for a while, dried off, got warm, and then headed over to the stadium so we could see all the pre-game festivities, and it was just delightful! There was so much team spirit and little OU specific hand gestures and chants that I need to learn. The only one I remember now, is that after we all sing the National Anthem TOGETHER, they change the lyrics to, "o'er the land of the free, and the home of the SOONERS!!!"
We sat in the student section because they were the cheapest tickets and were first come first serve. So we actually had pretty great seats, but probably not the best company. Luckily most of the loud-foul-mouth, football-know-nothings moved away by halftime, but someone did get mad and throw their hat on the ground, whipping my back in the process...which did not make me a very happy camper. But we stood on our seats the whole time just like the rest of the student section.
The game was pretty close the whole time, which was really exciting. I especially loved how the Sooner Schooner wagon and REAL LIVE HORSES ran out on the field after each score! It was a little rainy and a little chilly, but it was fine. WORTH IT! We wanted to go to the one best game of OU's season, and we did. BOOMER SOONER!!! We can't wait to go back again :)
NIKE FREE Family (the type of shoe) ;)



Oh Alayna - I love you!!!! You have a way of writing that makes it seem like we are right there with you, and we want to be because you make it so fun!!! You are always so upbeat and positive AND HAPPY!!! I love that you are documenting your life, keep doing that, you won't be sorry!!! Thank you for sharing it with us. I love you to pieces!!!! ❤️❤️❤️
ReplyDelete