Friday, February 28, 2014

McLoud Pom - final update or not??


A couple weeks ago our basketball team hosted a Court of Dreams tournament at the Chesapeake Arena where the Oklahoma City Thunder play. It was fun to get out of school for that and cool to be on the Thunder court (you know, with my coaches' pass).  It started as an incredibly stressful day, but thanks to my relentlessness and awesomeness, it turned out ok.

The buses were going to drop us off and then head back to McLoud, but one was going to come back and pick up the people not staying for the Thunder vs. Hawks game later that night. The morning of the event, however, I get a call saying that because of the after school routes, a bus wouldn't be available to come pick us up until 5:00. That would have meant that I would have to babysit a bunch of teenagers downtown in the cold with nowhere to go for 2-3 hours--which would've been especially frustrating since I live in downtown OKC!

So after a couple hours of disappointing phone calls and rejected plans, I had no choice but to give up. But once we got on the bus and I talked to my cheer and pom kids directly, I figured out that there was in fact a way for this to work out! So the bus dropped me off at the bus barn and I drove the 12-passenger van over to the Thunder arena--that way I could take home the kids that weren't staying for the game as soon as our high school game was down. Disaster #1=avoided.

Disaster #2= Our game starts and I'm sitting on the bench on the court when the Thunder marketing/sound guy comes up and says he didn't receive a CD for our halftime performance. So I just told him that its on an iPod and we only need an aux cord since I was told by my AD that that would be fine. Come to find out though, THEY COULD ONLY USE A CD!!!! So smart head coach me thought about it and then realized, "Our dance is to 'Applause' by Lady Gaga and I KNOW the Thunder sound people have it because I remember them playing it during pre-game!" So I went over and talked to the guy again and was able to smoothly cruise past disaster #2.

I don't think anyone knew or truly internalized how stressful of a day that was for me or how we could have been stranded there for hours after never even getting to perform, but I felt pretty good about my work. I don't get paid enough... :)




Our season is over now, so on to whether or not this will be the final pom update: I told the superintendent that I did not want to teach so I could stay home with my sweet baby boy, but I hadn't decided if I wanted to continue coaching or not since it is more flexible and at least a tiny bit of income next year. But he told me that if I wanted to keep coaching that I would have to teach part-time... Which is still a no-go. So in my mind, I've been thinking that I'll be completely done with everything for a while until my kids are older. But then...

I got a phone call yesterday from the Orange Bowl. Yes, the Orange Bowl... big football game... Miami... She said that someone had recommended me and my team to perform in their halftime performance at the upcoming Orange Bowl on December 31st. How exciting and what a memorable and unique experience. Plus- I'm from Miami! I've been to the Orange Bowl! The original stadium AND the actual game! My dad has been on the Orange Bowl Committee (complete with orange blazer and everything)! In fact, my dad met Blaine for the first time when he and the director of the Orange Bowl Committee flew out to Salt Lake for the Utah-TCU game.

So now I don't know... I have a week to think about it and decide whether I want to stay on for this big event or just bow out like I was planning. Here are my thoughts:

- My commute will be an hour each way with my baby boy
- Even If I want to stay, I don't know if they'd let me because the superintendent said I'd have to teach part time to still coach, which I won't do. But maybe he'll let me do what I want and only be a coach if he thinks this is a good opportunity for our school and dance program. And maybe if he can't find anyone else to replace me next year
- Most of the girls on my team had never done it before, so I don't want to waste the time and money if they won't be ready for it. But maybe next year's time would be more experienced...?
- Yes, it would be memorable and unique, but would it be worth it? I'd get a tiny bit of money for the whole season. Hopefully that'd cover my gas and I'd at least break even...

Here are the uniforms I've ordered for next year though, so either way, they'll look good. There's a picture of the style out of the catalog and then a mock up of it with our school colors that I'm pretty excited about... Maybe I should keep one as a souvenir :)



And a post is not complete without an update on my perfect puppy Jakey... So handsome, he should be a model

And, finally, I'm almost 21 weeks and over the halfway point of my pregnancy! We are still so excited and still so grateful! The only foods I love are the usual still - steak, sweet potatoes, milk, eggs, avocados, and the ONLY sweets I like are...



This is what halfway to due date looks like:




No comments:

Post a Comment