A little over a week ago my brothers Austin and Aaron were in a very scary car accident and could have very easily died. Not in the way that people throw that out there for exaggeration, but in all reality.
Once school got out, they got in our family's Yukon XL and left for baseball practice. It was a four-way intersection and they were stopped at the red light. When the light turned green, they started into the intersection when they noticed a school bus running the red light and heading right for them. In order to avoid a crash with a bus (full of kids no less!), Austin got out of the way and the Yukon rolled three times and landed on its side. Austin and Aaron were smart and safe enough to have their seat belts on, so they stayed strapped in. They don't remember how they got out of the car, but it is incredibly touching to hear what they do remember.
A man pumping gas at the 7-11 on the corner saw the whole thing happen and ran to the scene, along with another older couple going for a walk. Both of them told the police what they saw and told my mom that her sons were heroes. It's just disappointing that some of the attention-hogging, drama-filled negative kids at their school make up their own stories.
Miraculously, they only have bruised ribs and cuts and stitches from the broken glass. I can only imagine how scary it was and how shaken up they still must be. Even after all that, though, and a long night at the hospital, I love this picture of them sharing a bed in their hospital gowns. I'm so excited to have my baby boy this summer and I hope my next baby is a boy as well so they can be buddies like these two cute boys.
The car is no more, but it served its purpose and was a great family SUV for 12 years. It's had a lot of problems the last couple of years and had been out of commission for the last couple of months. My mom kept saying that they should just get rid of it but my dad kept holding on to it, saying "it'll protect the kids," since Austin is mostly the one who drives it now. And he was right. It did protect them.
Now on a smaller scale in comparison, Jakey got his first cut a couple days ago and it made me so sad. We were down at the dog park in our apartment complex like we do everyday, but today this stupid dog attacked Jake and pinned him and cut his face right above is left eye. Sometimes dogs playing looks rough and aggressive and I hate it. But the way I knew it wasn't playing was because the stupid dog was growling and Jakey was crying. So I got him out of there and we went on a walk. We ended up running into an older lady visiting her son and she had an old golden retriever. The dogs played for a little bit while we talked and she reassured me that dogs are tougher than we think and golden retrievers are the most loving and loyal dogs ever, so that made me feel better. But just seeing the cut on his face makes me sad. And mad. You mess with my pup and Mama Bear comes out!! Consider yourself warned...
Blaine gave him a bath and then put neosporin on it. When I first tried to take a picture, I forgot to take off the flash and wound up with this silly one:
Then 2 days later we were out in the dog park and this little yapper dog kept annoying Jake. He was barking and obnoxious and kept jumping up to try and bite Jake's ear or his side. Jakey kept trying to walk away but this dumb dog kept messing with him and so finally Jake put him in his place and just pinned him and barked back. The stupid owner was on the phone and wasn't paying attention to anything but freaked out a little when he noticed that, but I was like, "Hey man- your dog started it." Jake's just like his mama: we don't like annoying, rude, attention seeking pains in our sides. And he handled it just the way my parents taught us and just the way we'll teach our kids: Never throw the first punch, but once they do, you finish it.
He is the sweetest puppy and we love him so much. Its been very cold and snowy and rainy lately-- I even had snow days on Monday and Tuesday, for a total of 8 this school year. So I was able to stay home and be with him, but we mostly stayed inside because of the weather. Yesterday was sunny though, so I let him play outside and wrestle with some other dogs, but the snow was so melty and the ground was so muddy and his hair is so long and thick that he was the messiest he's ever been! Blaine was at school, so I had to wash him by myself and it took 45 MINUTES!!!! But oh well. He's clean now.
Blaine has had a lot of tests lately and still has 4 more to go between now and next Wednesday. So that makes him busy and stressed, but he's getting good grades and is hanging in there. He even took me to IHOP yesterday for National Pancake Day so we could enjoy a free short stack :) One night he was studying at our apartment clubhouse so it could be more quiet with less distractions, so me and Jakey braved the snow long enough to go walk over there and pick him up and escort him home. I was bundled, but Blaine and Jake took off running for home. Jake was running next to Blaine but this picture is when he had just jumped down
oh and Jake's also lost most if not all of his baby teeth. Here are the one's we've found :)
So my sweet brothers are safe, Jakey's cut is healing, Blaine's working hard for us, and my baby boy is growing and well... And theres an update on my boys :)
PS- since it's just going to be me and boys for a while, I'm pretty sure I NEED this sweater if anyone wants to track it down and buy it for my baby shower ;)











No comments:
Post a Comment