In the last two weeks, I've got to enjoy a new and magical part of being pregnant!!! I am so grateful to be able to experience it and can't take anything for granted. I read that you usually start to feel kicks around week 20, but I didn't. That worried me a little bit, but not too much. Sometimes I would try to sit still and close my eyes and concentrate to see if I could pick out any movements, but I never knew if I felt something or not. But over last weekend, I started to feel some very distinct kicks. Unfortunately, I don't have a special "first kick" memory of when he kicked me and I knew it. I think there were a couple of softer ones that I might of written off, but by the end of the weekend, I was certain that he was alive and well and moving inside his mama. Then a couple days ago, Blaine and I were laying in bed watching an episode of our favorite show (24) and he kept kicking me in the same spot pretty frequently. So I told Blaine and he touched my stomach and was able to feel the baby kicking for the first time. He was so cute and excited, which made me even more excited. Then he just stared at my tummy to see if he could SEE the movement, which he could. Then the next morning, I woke up to get ready for work and he rolled over and told me how exciting it was for him to feel that--when he usually just stays asleep while I get ready.
My tummy is DEFINITELY showing now and I am OVER THE HALF WAY POINT!!! I can't even believe it and that its real. One of the things about Blaine being able to feel him kick was that it made it more real for me. Because I waited so long and did so much trying to make this happen, I feel like I'm extra nervous that something will go wrong or that I will just be imagining this whole thing. Each time I go to the doctor's office and hear his heartbeat or see him on the ultrasound, I just sort of get a sense of relief. So having Blaine feel the kicks too was like, "Ok, you have another witness. It's real." I'm so excited to be on the downhill slope and closer to birth than conception (weird? yeah probably) because I can't wait to see him and hold him. I also feel, though, that I've been so stressed and busy with work and house hunting and other things that I haven't taken full advantage of being pregnant and enjoying this experience. I still have 17 more weeks to go though, and 7 of those will not involve working, so I still have time.
Some other recent developments that have come up lately are terribly sore feet and back pain. Now, my back hurts a good amount anyways, but the feet thing is a big deal. They hurt all the time, unless I'm laying down. I switch off between my furry Uggs, Blaine's soft slippers, and my reef flip flops. They're all bad though. I don't even want to walk. But luckily they're not swollen and puffy. Look at this prescription my doctor gave me, though :) He's the best. And he's in my ward. I love him.
Some other recent developments that have come up lately are terribly sore feet and back pain. Now, my back hurts a good amount anyways, but the feet thing is a big deal. They hurt all the time, unless I'm laying down. I switch off between my furry Uggs, Blaine's soft slippers, and my reef flip flops. They're all bad though. I don't even want to walk. But luckily they're not swollen and puffy. Look at this prescription my doctor gave me, though :) He's the best. And he's in my ward. I love him.
Have I mentioned my leg cramps in the middle of the night? Because they're wild. Every couple of nights I'll be sound asleep and then out of nowhere, I'll shoot up in pain because my calf is as hard as a rock and cramping. It is so painful for about a minute or less and then I'm back to bed. Usually it's just one leg, but twice recently, it has been one leg and then the next leg like an hour later. I don't wake up Blaine because I figure by the time I got him up, it'd be over. A couple nights ago, though, he woke instantly on his own and started rubbing out my legs. He even commented something funny on how it felt like there was a tennis ball stuck in my calf or something. I don't remember, I was asleep. But I must've been withering in pain enough to wake him up immediately on his own.
Blaine was up all night studying for a test last week, and Jake is usually his loyal companion and will play with his toys or sleep next to Blaine's desk to keep him company. But one night when Blaine was finally coming to bed and Jake woke from his sleep to follow him into the bedroom, Blaine put Jake on the bed with me while he brushed his teeth and stuff. I had been long asleep by then, and I vaguely remembered a flash going off, but then once Blaine sent me this picture the next day, I remembered. I remember Jake coming to lay by me and rest his head on top of my forehead, so I woke up and scooted him around and we ended up like this. You can tell my sleeping is not fake by the gorgeous natural look on my face. And yes, I've been sleeping in that same Heat shirt for the last 5 years.
When I try to get pictures of Jakey playing by Blaine's feet while he studies, Jake always gets distracted and comes to me or moves around, but at least heres a picture from a couple nights ago.
On that subject, poor Blainey had tests last Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday... Can you believe that?! And he has done well on all of them, even while working on the house and having Alexis and Craig in town... But it definitely comes at a price, like sleep. But I'm very impressed and proud of him and grateful for his hard work and dedication. In fact, we are at the Dental Lab right now (or we were when I wrote this) as he practices for one of his practical tests tomorrow. And its past my bedtime...
(Side note: I am definitely looking forward to SLEEPING IN!!! From our new house, my one way commute to work is now an hour rather than 40 minutes... I don't even remember the last time I had a good or long nights rest. And there have been a handful of times where I've shot out of bed, bit the covers, and clenched my shins from these sharp pains for about 30 seconds, and then go back to sleep...) And Jakey loves my U-shaped pregnancy pillow, so he usually sleeps in it next to our bed. I love relaxing in it or napping in it, but I get a headache if I try to sleep with it.
Once I'm gone in the mornings, Blaine will sometimes bring Jake onto the bed and they'll sleep together
His signature sleeping position








No comments:
Post a Comment