For the first 3 weeks of Easton's life, Jake pretty much ignored him. He just slept and didn't do much, plus some visiting family member was always holding him so Jake probably didn't even see him. These past 2 weeks, though, Jake has decided he LOVES to lick Easton. We have a swing that we'll put him in but we usually don't unless Jake isn't around because we know a follow-up bath will be inevitable.
We all know how I feel about Jake. And everyone says that golden retrievers are the best family dogs-- I've teared up just watching youtube videos that testify of that. So I want to let Jake lick Easton because he's showing him affection and I want them to get used to each other, but I don't want Easton to get slimy.
One of my favorite evening activities is when me and my 3 boys lay on our bed and watch TV with the lights out. Blaine and I trade off between cuddling Easton and cuddling Jake. A week or 2 ago, while we were enjoying one such family evening, Marley & Me was on TV. Its the story of a couple that gets a rambunctious puppy who drives them crazy but who they love so much. Its about their life with him, having 3 kids, and moving a couple of times. Plus, most of it takes place in Miami and Boca, so thats fun for me to see all the places I know. Spoiler alert: the dog gets old and dies eventually, and it always makes me cry and want to give Jakey everything he wants. Its a sweet story and will most likely parallel experiences from our life. I cry anytime I think of Jake dying and he's only 11 months old.
Quick anecdote: while Blaine and I would wait in the waiting room for my doctors appointment, we would look at funny stuff on Pinterest to pass the time. Before my last appointment I was reading this thing about this dog that had to be put to sleep, so his family took him to a park and played all day and let him eat as much of his favorite foods as he wanted and then the vet met him there to be put to sleep... and there were pictures to go along with the story. I. WAS. BALLING! (as I'm about to now)
Anyways, right as this was going on, the nurse called my name and I was embarrassed.
But whatever-- I love my blonde son (as several experiences can attest to)
After Marley & Me, both Easton & Jake were asleep so we tried to take these pictures :)
Jake is still such a puppy. He's 11 months and completely playful and energetic but a little wild sometimes, so we've started having some training lessons to learn to not jump up on people and babies, so we'll keep you posted on that adventure.




No comments:
Post a Comment