Sunday, April 13, 2014

Jakey: Post-Op


Last Thursday, our sweet Jakey went in for his neutering operation. Blaine dropped him off in the morning and then I picked him up in the afternoon. I've never had a dog before, so I don't know much, but it was part of our "puppy package" with the Vet and I guess its the widely accepted responsible thing to do. (Many of my family members, though, still express their disapproval... specifically the boys).

Anyways, I picked him up and we (of course) were so excited to see each other. He sat patiently by the door while the people at the desk took their sweet time wrapping things up. In the meantime, a lady walked in and saw Jake and was playing with him, saying "you're such a handsome boy!" Which he is... but the lady working behind the desk must have missed the day of sensitivity training and said, "haha - not anymore, he's an "it"

... I was fuming. First of all, I haven't liked this vet office at all because I feel like they are ALWAYS making up crap to get more money out of us. (they did that visit as well, but I caught them in time) The only reason we stayed with them is because we had already bought our puppy package with them. But now that that is over, we are definitely leaving. I was already sad about Jakey's operation and then she called my sweet, beautiful boy an "it" - Excuse me, ma'am - he has a penis!!! What actually came out of my mouth at the time, though, was "No, he IS a perfect handsome boy." So then we left and he immediately went to the bathroom once we got outside... Guess they didn't let him go to the bathroom either.


For the rest of that day he was pretty tired and would let out random cries, which isn't like him. You may have seen the picture of him sleeping in my $70 pregnancy body pillow that now belongs to him. Half of his underside is shaved and then a patch on his arm where his IV went. We had to give him a pain pill for the next 3 days, but other than that, you would never know he just had surgery. He wants to run and play so bad, but he's not supposed to so he doesn't irritate the healing area and cause complications with his recovery. They said he would be more mellow and more tired and some people said it would just change him, but I am pleased to report that he is perfect and himself. If anything, he is MORE rambunctious than before. But thats also probably due to him being cooped up inside and not allowed to run.


He LOVES to swim, also, but he's not allowed to get in the water or take a bath for 10-14 days after surgery. There is a nice park by our house that we go to a lot and let him swim and its like his favorite thing. He's a natural - the first time we ever took him, I was so scared but he loved it. He used to swim so efficiently, flailing his outstretched arms high up and down. I was worried that he was going to get tired and drown, so I kept telling Blaine to get ready to go in after him. He was always fine, though. Now he's a pro and a very efficient doggie paddler. He loves retrieving balls and sticks out of the water. It gets deep, too.







A couple weeks ago we were at the park and an older woman with an old golden retriever came up to us and was talking about how great golden retrievers are with kids. She said, "just treat them like siblings, let them be involved, they're part of the family." At first I thought the sibling reference was funny, but lets be real - I treat Jake like my son, anyways. There are lots of cute pictures and videos of dogs and babies interacting and I can't wait for the boys (Jakey and Baby) to be best friends. I've read some things that suggest training your dog while you're pregnant - like taking him on walks with an empty stroller and things like that. We'll see about that... I'm just glad he's safe and healthy.


My brother Aaron turned 14 on Saturday and Jake sent him this snapchat



No comments:

Post a Comment