Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My All-American Javelin Thrower & Road-tripping to Regionals


Blaine threw the Javelin on the Track and Field team while he went to BYU. 
In fact, we met as a result of him being on the team and me working in the Athletic Department... 
But we'll save that story for another day. 


(Yes, that is not a javelin. During his sophomore season he also threw the shot put a couple of times just for fun and to help the team earn points.) 


That's his coach Mark Robison. We would joke because Blaine would call him Coach and I would call him Mark, since we were colleagues ;) In fact, we ran into him at church over Christmas break while we were in Provo and got to chatting and decided to come see the team at Regionals this year since it's being hosted by the University of Arkansas, which is only a 3 hour drive from where we live. 

So that is where we're headed this weekend, and that is what prompted this tribute to Blaine's career. So enjoy these pictures (not in order) of my NCAA All-American, who was a Mountain West Conference Champion (also a MWC record setter, as well as a stadium record setter at the University of Wyoming's track), a 4-time NCAA Regionals Qualifier, and 2-time NCAA Nationals Qualifier... and he holds the 4th spot on BYU's record board for the Javelin... but anyways ;)




I was in high school during his freshman season, but I was there as much as possible for the rest of his 4 years. I was able to go to all of his home meets, plus the one at the University of Utah, Arizona State University, San Diego State University, as well as the Conference Championship in Laramie, Wyoming, NCAA Regionals in Austin, Texas, and BYU paid for my flight to Nationals in Eugene, Oregon. His biggest fan? Yeah, you could say that ;)





Hot Shot being interviewed after the meet


When we were engaged! :)
































weird bathtub in the middle of our hotel room??



I decided to go to the ASU meet since my Great-Grandpa was the President of ASU




Blaine and his javelin coach Juhani 






HAHA! I remember this! We were watching and cheering for some of our distance runners and I always loved Mark's encouraging words :) Good times, good times...












Oregon was freezing and rainy in the beginning of June... one of the reasons I will never live there.












He took a redshirt year for his 4th year so he could have one year of throwing 
with his brother during his 5th year








The Deseret News did an article about BYU's throwers one year since they were all really good. 


Off to Arkansas now!

1 comment:

  1. He was a pretty great thrower in high school too. I was two years behind him in school, so I only really got to watch him when he was a junior and a senior in high school, but I was always pretty impressed :)

    ReplyDelete