Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Non-Stress Test

Yesterday was a little frightening. I hadn't felt him move very much in the past two and a half days. I had felt him at least once or twice on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, but I just felt like it wasn't nearly as much as usual or as strong. 

I knew that the closer to delivery he is, the less room he has to move, but still thought it was a big change. I had talked to Blaine and my mom about how I'd been worrying and I kept going back and forth on whether or not to call the doctor or not. 

But Tuesday afternoon I finally decided to just call because its better to air on the side of safety and if I hadn't, I'd still be worrying. So I called the doctor's office and said, "I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I feel like my baby's moved a lot less in the last 3 days..." Then the nurse cut me off and told me that I needed to go to the 5th floor of the hospital. So I was taken aback and asked why I couldn't just stop by the office and have them check on him in there and she said that when this happens, I'm supposed to go right to the hospital. "So go check in, I'll tell the doctor I sent you over and I'll let the hospital know you're on your way." So I went.

Blaine was in class and I didn't want to tell him unless something was wrong. So I tried calling my mom but she was at the beach, so next was Dad. So of course, he answers and jokingly gives me a hard time about how it must've been an accident to call him - which is when the tears finally came. So then he immediately softened into Dad/Grandpa mode and asked what was wrong. So I told him and he assured me that everything was probably fine and the doctors office probably just didn't want to disrupt the schedule with patients with appointments. 

So I pulled myself together and went up to the 5th floor. They knew I was coming, so I immediately got a room and they hooked me up to some monitors with 2 bands over my tummy. I laid there for an hour and watched HGTV, pressing a button every time I felt him. They didn't tell me what it was, but when I talked to my mom afterwards she said it was a non-stress test. 

So he's fine, and I don't regret going. I'm reassured of my babies health and strength and I had a nice trial run of what to do and where to go when he's ready to come! I just need to relax and lay down more so I can notice him more and help him relax. I do have my To-Do and To-Buy lists up on the wall, which I would like to complete within the next 2 weeks for the mot part. That way all the essentials will be ready by 38 weeks! 

Quick story: We've felt a couple of little earthquakes since we've lived here (which is weird, since thats not what I expected from the plains), but Monday was the first time we had felt one while we were sleeping, which makes it extra scary. I guess it was a 4.2 where it hit. So anyways, the house starts shaking, which scares me and wakes me up, so I jump over onto Blaine and he wakes up thinking its time to go to the hospital

No comments:

Post a Comment