This past Tuesday - Friday was my fall break. And lucky for me, my fall break was longer than any other teacher I've heard of!! But as with all breaks, it has ended too soon. While most of my students went hunting or to Branson, MO, I stuck around town because Blaine still had school and because we had a football game. But it certainly was a FALL break, because just the day before it was mid-80s and sunny, but for the majority of this week it has been really cold and rainy.
On Tuesday, I met Blaine at school for institute. Every Tuesday during lunch they have institute at the student union and every Wednesday at lunch there is a Baptist equivalent. I miss my religion classes at BYU, so it was nice to be back in that type of environment. There is a senior missionary couple in charge who brings lunch, and then there are different teachers or guest speakers. This week they had Little Caesars pizza, salad, grapes, and cookies. There was a good amount of people - many I recognized from church, plus others in different wards, and a couple of non-member students.
This week, the speaker was from another Edmond ward and was a federal prosecutor from Oklahoma. The lesson was on putting family first, and how being a good husband and father will carry over to help you be a good dentist/doctor and have a good practice. It was good, but the part I liked the most was something he just mentioned on the side. He referenced James E. Faust saying, "Women can have it all, just not all at the same time."
(So I went home and wanted to look up the exact quote, but as it turns out, James E. Faust did give a good talk called, A Message to my Granddaughters: Becoming "Great Women," but the exact quote is actually from Madeleine Albright.)
Anyways, that quote stood out to be because I hadn't thought about it, but I do agree with that for the most part. Usually I have thought, "Its too bad we can only get one go round," meaning that there are several different jobs and situations and lives I think I would really enjoy, but its kind of sad that you can only pick one.
But going along with what THIS quote is saying, I can go to work and be a teacher and a coach, and I can be a "stay at home mom/trophy wife," and whatever else I'd like to be, like a photographer, a Zumba instructor, etc. Just not all at the same time. I've thought about that more since I've been here, because I wouldn't be teaching or coaching if I had a baby right now, and I enjoy my job and it is a fun and unique experience I wouldn't have had otherwise, and many people will never have.
Anyways, after Institute, I went on a little shopping spree with myself :) I got a couple cute new clothes, but I held myself back from getting shoes, but I AM still hoping to go get some new necklaces. Needless to say, that was enjoyable. Usually shopping and spending money makes me SO nervous and I second guess my decisions and fear we'll be broke, but this time I just enjoyed myself and it was nice. (It was also comforting to know that I got paid during fall break!)
On Wednesday, I went to the temple and did my first session all alone. It is a small temple right across the parking lot from a Stake Center. But it's pretty. From there, I stopped for some lunch, took the car to Jiffy Lube, and went to JoAnn Fabrics (with coupon in hand!) to buy material for my Halloween costume. And as it turned out, I got the exact same material that my sister Alivia bought for her costume. We're being Ariel from The Little Mermaid.
We'll skip Thursday and save it for the next post, but Friday was a cleaning and errands day. Blaine studied a lot for his big test this week while I attacked the showers and tubs. I used a homemade concoction that I saw on Pinterest and it actually worked fabulously. Then I made chicken cordon bleu for dinner and it was super delicious. Thats gotta be worked into the rotation more often. We watched the Louisville-UCF game while we ate, and then went to Walmart for a couple of slumber party items - snacks and movies :)
We love movies. We always have. Lots of times we'll bring the mattress of our other bed onto the living room floor and just watch football or movies while we eat our snacks and cuddle :) (You can tell who is writing this, huh) Last night we each chose one from the $5 bin, plus a family one to build our collection. So I chose This Means War, Blaine chose Warrior, and we got all 4 of the Shrek movies. We're building our family library and it's so fun.

No comments:
Post a Comment