Sunday, October 6, 2013

Friday Night Off

This past Friday was the first Friday night in a month that I've had off. Usually Fridays are my busiest days - I'm at school from 8-3, then come home from 4-6, and then the game from 7-12. But yesterday I was home free at 3! Our Redskin football team had an away game last night and the band wasn't going, so we didn't go either, since we do not perform at away halftimes and can't do sideline dances without a band. So after school, I came home, painted my nails, and actually laid down and watched TV. Then me and Blaine went to the temple since it was our only opportunity since school has started.


It's a small temple in the parking lot of a stake center. It only has 5-6 sessions a day, and half that on Saturdays. It's out away from the city in a suburb called Yukon and you pass 3 targets, 2 walmarts, and 1000 restaurants to get there. Tonight we did Sealings with a couple of family names from Blaine's grandma.

Unlike Provo, where the temple is packed all the time, there were hardly any people there. I even got a personal escort. There ended up being a couple other people in there with us after they finished their session. One of them was a cute old man who was standing proxy with another older lady--he was my favorite. He asked her, "Are we getting married? Are you going to be my wife?" So she teased back, "you only have to have one wife now."And he said, "Thats ok, I couldn't take on another one anyway." And then one of the couples they sealed was the same husband as the previous couple, but a new wife, so the cute old man smiled and said, "See! I told ya!" :) It was hilarious. We also got to do family sealings, standing proxy as siblings, not just one child at a time. That was cool because we had never done that before. I have, however, stood proxy for someone's mother during their own live sealing of a woman to her parents, and that was pretty special.

Keeping with our fast food friday night tradition, we stopped at Five Guys on the way home from the temple. I wanted to stop at Wich Wich, but by the time we got out of the temple, it was closed. There was a lot of talk about a big storm hitting tonight, so we just got some burgers and headed home. Its coming down pretty strong now, though. Constant lightening, lots of rain, and a couple scary bursts of thunder.

Now for a quick update on McLoud:

-  During 5th and 6th hour, it is me, the head girls basketball coach, and the head boys basketball coach (both of which are boys) with all the junior high boys and girls basketball kids. Once the season gets closer, we'll separate the boys and girls, but for now its pretty laid back. Sometimes it's nice to just hang out and shoot around in the middle of my day, but sometimes I get so bored. I wouldn't say the majority of these girls are too athletically talented, but a few are. Sometimes the coaches just bug the heck out of me, so after complaining to my dad about it, I've learned to just distance myself. But sometimes we do have interesting conversations. They, like everyone else in Oklahoma, is very open about religion. One of them has asked me questions about BYU and being Mormon ever since he found out I was a BYU grad. He's amazed by the honor code and all that, and when I gave him the brief overview of Mormonism like he requested, he was surprised that he agreed with all our basic concepts. When the baseball coach walked into the gym one day and I met him for the first time, the other coaches told him I went to BYU and he said, "Wow! That makes my liberal arts degree from the University of Central Oklahoma look like a booger!" :)



- Apparently, some small towns have houses or housing stipends for their coaches. I thought that was so interesting. The boys coach said that at his last job, he lived in a nice house with lots of land for free directly across the street from the school.


- The basketball coaches told me to call a certain company to get my t-shirts and other random supplies from because they'd send me a free pair of nike shoes. So I did, and my shoes are in the mail!! Not a bad deal :)


- I got us new pom poms for our pom squad and they are so cute! Holographic red and silver!
(new ones on the left. old ones on the right...obviously)


- Recently I was teaching about time management and priorities and planning. We did an activity where I gave them a long list of obligations and tasks and I had them try to schedule their sample week. When I was growing up, we had mutual on Tuesday nights, so one of the tasks on my list was "Youth grou - Tuesday from 7-8:30." They were up in arms!!! They didn't just ask why I put Tuesday, but they demanded that it be changed to Wednesday even though this was just a sample activity. It was a huge deal to them. I tried to explain to them that it didn't matter and that when I was their age I went on Tuesdays, but to no avail. One of my favorite boys put his hand up and said, "Um, Ms. Baker. Here in OKLAHOMA, church is on WEDNESDAYS." (typing it does NOT do it justice)

- We have homeroom everyday where the kids just read and once a week we have a discussion. One of my favorite boys always asks if I can write him a pass to come to my room during homeroom because he doesn't like his homeroom and obviously we likes me. So most of the time, I give in. He reminds me a lot of my brother Aaron - they've even started to look alike. He's the one that walked straight into my room last week and said, "Were you at the game last night? I made a huge interception!" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment