Monday, October 14, 2013

Food Drive

As I've mentioned, I was in charge of the Food Drive at school. I made the posters for the hall, wrote an article for the local paper as well as the school newspaper, wrote the announcement for the morning announcements, wrote the script for the automated phone call messages to the parents, and printed off the food drive word searches for each homeroom. The success or failure from there depended on the homeroom teacher and how much attention they gave to it.

Long story short, my class blew everyone out of the water! They brought in a TON of cans and freely donated their own money. The winning homeroom won a pizza party, just like they do every year. But towards the end of the food drive, I am told we have $0 in our activity account. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. But I didn't want to disappoint my class after they had worked so hard and been so generous, so I thought I would just buy it myself out of pocket.

My sweet mommy, however, suggested I call the local pizza places and explain our story and see if they'd be willing to help out. And they were!! Little Caesar's donated 6 free pizzas for my class of 20, and one of the girls in my class (and on my basketball team) brought in a cooler of water bottles for us. So I wrote a big "THANK YOU" on the board and took a picture of all my kids in front of it holding the pizza and then we passed around a thank you card that I drew. So I need to send that to them soon.



We watched Nemo while we ate :)


Then, fun fact, today was our only day of school for the week since the next 4 days are FALL BREAK!! I am soooo excited. I've never had a fall break, let alone a 4 day one. I'm so grateful, I need it. And just like Blaine text me today at 2:52 right before school got out, I deserve it ;)

The bell rang at 3:00 and all the kids were clearing out, when the one LDS girl walked into my room. She had introduced herself once and the 3 LDS kids and I always say hi when we see each other, but thats it since I don't have any of them in my classes. But anyways, she came in and wanted to tell me that she likes how I always dress so nice and look so pretty while being modest, which is nice since most of the time "modesty" usually looks frumpy or ugly. So I thought that was very sweet of her, since its hard to look both pretty and be modest sometimes, especially being tall. What a nice note to start my fall break on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment